Thursday, June 12, 2008

Wild baby bird rescue


I found a wild baby bird on the gravel in the side yard on Sunday morning.  All the feather-down was gone from his neck and a big patch on his back, so he had been pecked for a while.  Since he was lying on his side 25 feet directly below a nest, he was either pushed out by his siblings or he jumped.  Took him inside the house, made him a cardboard box-nest filled with paper confetti and chenille yarn, put him in and he slept.

That evening he was up and opening his beak!  Got some protein down his throat and the next morning I wake to the sound of constant chirping coming from the studio.  He's out of the box, hopping around and hops after me as I leave the room!  Took him to the local rescue outfit and I hope he will recover.  In the photo you can see how tiny he was.  Turns out he was opening his beak because he was trying to scare the big people away, but it didn't take him long to calm down and decide I was his mother.  My son named him Beekie.

No comments: